- For The Newcomer
- A Doctor’s Opinion about Marijuana Addiction
- Introduction to MA: A Meeting Format in a Pamphlet
- Detoxing from Marijuana
- Why Marijuana Anonymous?
- Sharing Our Experience, Strength, and Hope: Personal Stories of Marijuana Addicts
- Why H&I Panels?
- Working the Program
- Personal Stories About Personal Commitments
- MA Pocket Reminder
- Dangers of Cross Addiction
- MA’s Service Structure
- The MA Meeting and the Home Group
- Stories by Teens
- For the Loved Ones of Marijuana Addicts
- Beginning Meditation: An approach to Step 11
- About Sponsorship
“Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood God, praying only for knowledge of God’s will for us and the power to carry that out.”
Meditation can develop our coping skills and increase our serenity. Many MA members have found meditation to be an important part of their recovery. It does a better job of calming us down than any substance we can put in our bodies. It can reduce stress and promote peace of mind. It can relax us and is good for the body as well as the soul. Meditation allows us to access our inner quiet selves. We can, with this tool, improve our conscious contact with our Higher Power.
How do I Meditate?
There are many different ways to meditate. You cannot do it wrong. Here are some suggestions:
- Find a quiet space. Anywhere will work.
- Sit comfortably, so you can be still.
- Notice your breath as you inhale and exhale.
- As thoughts come up, notice them. You do not have to follow them. Let them pass, like clouds in the sky.
- If you get distracted, simply return your focus to your breath.
- You can do this for as long as you like.
Meditation and Step 11
“Step Eleven gives us the emotional sobriety to practice the principles of our program in all aspects of our lives.” Life with Hope, 3rd Ed. p. 55
It has been said that if prayer is talking to our higher power, meditation is listening to our higher power. When we quiet our minds and learn to listen, we are better able to be of service to ourselves and others.